Ranksborough Hall, built in 1893 was once the home of Lord Ranksborough, Major General J F Broclehurst. He entered the army in 1874 and was the Commander of the 3rd Cavalry Brigade, Natal Field Force in 1899 when he was appointed equerry to Queen Victoria. Subsequently, in 1901, he was appointed equerry to Queen Alexandra, and ultimately becoming the 1st Baron of Ranksborough in 1914 until 1921. The Hall has been visited many times by Royalty, in particular George V who regularly rode with the local hunt, and is situated in its own grounds a few miles from Oakham. Oakham is the capital of Rutland, which came into being in 1204 when granted as dower to Queen Isabella by King John.